Monday, August 27, 2012

Fear of Failure & Self-Compassion

Fear of failure is a problem for me. When I first thought to write this blog I was afraid that I would fail and be embarrassed. I'm pretty hard on myself about everything. I have negative self-talk down to an art.  So to test the waters I decided to start small by doing some research for the blog.
While researching "self-esteem" I came across some websites by women that wanted to share their enthusiasm for fashion no matter what size they were. Over a few weeks, as I browsed their blogs, websites and tumbler pages I started to gain some confidence. So I went for it and here I am.

One of the topics I want to explore is my fear of failure, I came across a great article about a concept called "self-compassion" on the website for Psychology Today. Here's a link, Psychology Today.  I especially like the paragraph that starts off, "Self-compassion helps people to view failure as a challenge. The way to overcome failure is to..."

I also found a great website chocked full of information on the subject of Self-Compassion.  A great statement from that site starts, "Instead of just ignoring your pain with a 'stiff upper lip' mentality, you stop to tell yourself 'this is really difficult right now,' how can I comfort and care for myself in this moment? Instead of mercilessly judging and criticizing yourself for various inadequacies or shortcomings, self-compassion means you are kind and understanding when confronted with personal failings..."

I like this idea, but I can see how it could possibly lead to complacency.  For me though, it would be a welcome change to what I've been saying to myself.  I think the topic deserves more research.  It could become a welcome addition to my arsenal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment